Academic teaching is a comprehensive, research-based textbook on teaching and learning in higher education. It is written from the point of view of teachers engaged in teaching and learning practices in higher education.
New challenges require university teachers to work very efficiently. This book forms a contribution to advancing integrated perspectives, increased knowledge, personal development, pedagogical competence and raised awareness.
The authors, Maja Elmgren and Ann-Sofie Henriksson, provide a starting point, based on many years of experience as university teachers and pedagogical developers, for reflections on teaching and learning practices by posing a number of questions such as:
• What factors contribute to the promotion of learning in higher education?
• What is my own fundamental view on teaching and learning?
• How do I base my teaching on students’ requirements and needs?
• How can I vary teaching activities and assessment in order to promote learning?
• How can I develop as a teacher?
Academic teaching can be used in higher education teacher training. It is also suitable for individual teachers’ competence development.